CableLabs Asia Summit – Impact with a Difference
On December 6-7, CableLabs hosted its first CableLabs Asia Summit and, by all accounts, it was a genuine success. We invited cable’s top leaders from across Asia – including our members in Australia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan – to come together in Shanghai to gain insight, collaborate and learn about the innovation impacting our networks.
CableLabs, together with nine of our members in Asia and key technology leaders from Comcast in the US and Liberty Global in Europe and Latin America, spent two days of complete immersion developing a greater understanding of the unique business, operations and competitive dynamics of the cable operators in Asia, exploring technologies advancing the competitive positioning of operators today, and the innovative technologies that will assure cable’s competitive positioning in the future. Three additional cable operators from China participated in the first day of the summit by way of exploring membership with CableLabs.
All in, 61 individuals across 14 MSOs, CableLabs, and other participants contributed to a highly interactive event. With NPS scores of 75 and 88 across the two days of the summit, value was very much delivered, success defined not only through the content provided by CableLabs, but equally so by way of presentations from across several of our members.
- How innovation is done at CableLabs – and how we are bringing the technologies of the future to reality
- LPWAN IoT opportunities through CableLabs open source LoRa server solution
- Wired and wireless proactive network maintenance
- Machine learning and AI with applications for full band capture for proactive network maintenance, multicast channels for predictive video lineups, cable modem and set-top box patterns to monitor network health
- DOCSIS roadmap – including Full Duplex DOCSIS technology by which cable’s HFC networks can deliver up to 10 Gbps symmetrical speeds
- Coherent optics enabling substantially greater capacity over the same fiber
- 5G and wireless technologies enabling converged networks
Topics presented by our members:
- Comcast provided an overview of its network strategy
- Liberty Global outlined their customer premise equipment (CPE) strategy
- Presentations from our Asian members provided an overview of some of the advanced technologies implemented in their respective regions, including facilitating intelligent communities from Wasu Digital Media, OTT and Android STB solutions implemented by Taiwan Broadband Communications, functional requirements for development of the C-DOCSIS 2.0 specification in China led by Gcable, led by Gcable, and broadcasting video content to connected devices by Henan Cable
- CTO roundtable with senior technical leadership from Beijing Gehua, Chongqing Cable Network, J:COM from Japan and Shenzhen Topway exchanged insights to technical, strategic and competitive challenges confronting their businesses.
Projecting our support internationally by way of regional events is a critical part of our strategy at CableLabs. Through summits and conferences delivered in the regions we represent around the world, we are able to:
- More effectively support member engagement through exchanges and interaction between CableLabs and our members
- Develop critical insights and gain a deeper appreciation of issues that are driving our members in each region
- Assure that the technologies CableLabs is developing are universally applicable across all members
- Create and develop collaboration and community between and across members
- Foster ideas and strategies that feed an innovation engine by way of developing innovative technologies that can be applied across our members
Are you a European member – or a member elsewhere across the regions we serve – interested in collaborating with and learning from your fellow European members? Register now and join cable’s top executives across Europe to gain insight and learn more about future innovative technologies at Inform[ED] Europe May 3-4 in London.