Tru2way™ and Advanced Video Demos Among Highlights of CableNET® 2008
Louisville, Colorado, April 21, 2008—Demonstrations of tru2way™ technology and home security, monitoring and automation are among the highlights of the upcoming CableNET® demonstration at the industry's premier convention, The Cable Show '08.
CableNET is a technology showcase that is co-sponsored by CableLabs® and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA), and offers a hands-on experience with many of the most exciting content, services, and applications.
The Cable Show '08, NCTA's 57th Annual Convention and International Exposition, will be held May 18-20 at The Ernest Morial Convention Center in New Orleans.
In addition to forming a major presence at the CableNET pavilion, tru2way technology, which is the retail brand for the OpenCable™ (hardware) and OCAP™ (software) technical initiatives, is the subject of a two-day pre-convention conference for OCAP Developers. That event is co-sponsored by NCTA, CableLabs and Vidiom Systems and also is at the Morial Convention Center.
Within CableNET, companies with tru2way technology demonstrations include Samsung, Sigma Designs, and Zodiac Interactive. Among the participants with advanced video demonstrations are Digeo, Motorola, Pixel3, and Symmetricom. Home security displays are planned by GE Security and iControl; InGrid Home Security; uControl, Inc.; and Z-Wave. Companies showcasing tru2way technology demonstrations at CableNET will have the additional publicity of the CableNET Theater where ongoing presentations will be made.
CableNET enables attendees to see and discuss leading-edge technologies and applications. CableNET '08 also will feature the following technology demonstrations: 145 megabit-per-second download speeds, broadband wireless, interactive advertising, Internet-focused applications and services; and advanced PacketCable™ 2.0-based technologies.
Historically, CableNET has provided attendees a first glimpse of many nascent, leading-edge technologies and applications. Those included early views of the cable industry's Data over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS®) platform; high-definition televisions; two-way, OCAP-based devices, and early displays of interactive services and Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP).
Following is a list of the participating vendors and a brief description of their planned demonstrations.
- Amdocs OSS Division - JacobsRimell (JR) will show how an Enterprise business administrator is able to easily retrieve any service information required for their entire enterprise, in order to perform any required moves, "adds" and changes for employee services, all at web speed.
- Aurora Networks Inc. will demonstrate a standard optical node that enables up to 100 times more capacity than conventional data delivery methods. With the Node PON™ module cable operators can market and cost-effectively deliver up to 1000 Mbps symmetric service anywhere within their cable networks.
- Digeo will showcase its latest DVR for cable, the Moxi HD DVR 3012. Digeo will be showing the Emmy Award-winning user interface, dual digital tuning capability, and integrated CableCARD. This new DVR includes a streamlined processor and increased hard drive.
- Digital Fountain is exhibit DF Splash, an end-to-end solution that streamlines the most complex elements of delivering and measuring a high-quality video experience, enabling a more compelling, more entertaining online experience. DF Splash provides viewers with an instant-on, full-screen, TV-quality experience, significantly improving the way we watch streaming video over the Internet.
- EchoStar Technologies LLC will demonstrate SlingModem™, the first DOCSIS® cable modem that fully integrates the place-shifting capabilities pioneered in the original Slingbox™. With the SlingModem, customers can easily watch and control their TV programming on any Internet-connected computing device just as they would in front of the living room television. The SlingModem provides the cable customer with both a broadband connection as well as the place-shifting functionality made famous by the Slingbox.
- F-Secure Inc. F-Secure will show a service-centric approach solution for all partners in the IT security segment offering various levels of IT services to its customer base. It provides the backbone of technology, research, support and business models designed and tailored for service partners of all kinds.
- GE Security and iControl will demonstrate next generation technology - Home Security 2.0 - which adds broadband and mobile access to security systems, cameras and home devices, delivering remote home monitoring and control functionality. The demonstration will also show a unique touch screen user interface that provides the homeowner access to information and control of their home at their fingertips.
- HANA The High-Definition Audio-Video Network Alliance (HANA) will demonstrate the advantages of sharing cable content throughout the home over a 400 Mbps network using 1394 over coaxial.
- Infinera will exhibit its DTN digital ROADM (reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexer ) built with photonic integrated circuits delivering 100 Gb/s of optical transport on a pair of chips less than 5 mm square. The demo will highlight the digital ROADM architecture and the benefits bandwidth virtualization brings to cable operators from engineering, operations, and service perspective.
- InGrid Home Security will have a system and laptop will be on display, comprising handset, console, base, grid extender, and camera. The system will connect through broadband to InGrid servers and sensors will be registered, named, and configured within 60 seconds. The system will be armed and disarmed remotely.
- IntraNext Systems will showcase an integration of a call center and billing system for computer telephony using screen pops, intelligent call routing and custom workflow tools.
- Irdeto will be demonstrating its most recent conditional access system developments.
- LaserShield and NextAlarm.com - LaserShield Burglar Alarm ... Over Broadband NextAlarm.com, the Broadband Alarm Company, teamed with LaserShield Systems will demonstrate an easy to setup burglar alarm. With this system and the Sparrow broadband adapter, a cable installer or end user can unpack and setup in less than five minutes a professional grade home security system that is monitored over broadband. Include will be instant video surveillance accessible over a web portal or mobile phone; e-mail, SMS, and even automated voice alert alerts.
- MetaSwitch will demonstrate its MetaSphere Application Suite which provides new revenue generating voice services. The applications which MetaSwitch will demonstrate include the following: CommPortal user interface; CommAssistant desktop toolbar; Live Message Screening; and SIP Phone Provisioning Server, which enables a no-touch provisioning model for deploying endpoints and allows operators to manage configuration and firmware versions.
- Motorola will demonstrate its MTR700 Tuning Adapter which connects unidirectional UDCPs (including a TiVo device, in specific) to a cable network, accessing multimedia content in the cable network's switched digital video (SDV) tier. Seamless tuning of the TiVo device across both broadcast and SDV tiers will be shown. Motorola will also demonstrate its Integrated CMTS (I-CMTS) and SURFboard® cable modems, in a DOCSIS 3.0 setting using the traditional Motorola 2:8 DS/US Module and new TX32 high-density Decoupled Downstream Module.
- Oversi will be presenting its comprehensive, multi-service caching and content delivery platform for Internet video and P2P traffic. The OverCache™ platform enables cable operators to relieve heavy network congestion, while improving customers' quality of experience (QoE), and monetizing over-the-top (OTT) video traffic.
- PerfTech, Inc. will show its Bulletin System which gives Internet providers a powerful vehicle to communicate directly with their subscribers whenever they are online. It allows providers to insert a message with text or rich-media content into the browser screens of one, a group, or all subscribers for whom the message is relevant.
- Pixel3 (new name for Clique Communications) is exhibiting ImageIQ, a breakthrough application that takes standard definition video and upgrades it to HD quality. The resulting video is not just a scaled up version of low-definition content, but an actual, full-bandwidth 1080p image with the high-frequency detail.
- Pure Networks will feature a gateway-router setup called Network Magic.
- Ruckus Wireless will highlight its whole home multimedia distribution of content with 802.11n and Wi-Fi meshing. This demo highlights technical advances made in the distribution of IP-based services over the next generation of Wi-Fi technology, 802.11n. The demonstrations shows how Wi-Fi can be used to concurrently distribute three high definition IPTV streams, music, voice and Internet access over a single wireless network in the home.
- Samsung Electronics will demonstrate downloadable conditional access and digital program insertion for advertising.
- Sandvine will demonstrate how its carrier-grade solution can enable a variety of subscriber services. By using subscriber application identification, awareness of dynamic network capacity, per-subscriber policies, and other appropriate conditions, service providers can introduce a range of solutions such as quota management, quality of service guarantees, and policy enforcement.
- Sigma Designs will display an integrated tru2way-based set top box that features four narrow band tuners which can display three video channels - high definition as well as standards definition. The tuners can be linked to enable channel bonding based on DOCSIS 3.0, enabling high speed throughput.
- Softel-USA will show the powerful MediaSphere TX carousel playing both tru2way™ & ETV interactive applications. Softel-USA will also demonstrate the flexibility and ease-of-use of the system's web-based configuration tools. The MediaSphere TX has been integrated with Motorola and SA head ends, plus with set-top boxes, automation, scheduling and billing systems. In addition, the MediaSphere line fully supports DOCSIS® Set-top Gateway (DSG) delivery via GigE and the ETV IO4 updates. The powerful MediaSphere Lab supports integrated prototyping and testing of tru2way & ETV applications, set-top boxes, and head end systems.
- Symmetricom will demonstrate the importance of video QoE from a viewer's perspective. Video mean opinion scores (MOS) from a streamed video signal, along with video quality results, will be displayed to indicate perceptual video quality - and validate video quality as perceived by end users.
- Synacor will demonstrate various new features of its consumer portal such as web DVR scheduling; bundled business portal services like vanity email and template-driven web sites; and value-added services like downloadable games and music.
- Teradata Corporation will demonstrate how an active data warehouse can leverage subscriber data, purchase history and recent event data to identify relevant offers. Building on solutions designed for online advertising, this demonstration shows a straightforward approach to interactive advertising challenges.
- thePlatform (www.theplatform.com), a subsidiary of Comcast and a leading broadband video management and publishing company, will demonstrate a jointly integrated delivery framework with Cisco Systems that gives service providers a mechanism for seamless delivery of broadband video to multiple screens. Additionally, thePlatform will exhibit technology that enables cable operators and programmers to create a branded, customized broadband video channel in minutes that can also manage the entire logistics process and enhance the overall online video experience.
- UniSoft Corporation/Strategy & Technology Ltd (S&T) will show a number of aspects of OCAP (tru2way) and ETV application creation, testing and delivery: S&T's TSBroadcaster 2.0 for OCAP, to create and broadcast a multi-service transport streams containing a number of OCAP and ETV applications. ETV demonstrations will include ad insertion and splicing; ETV and OCAP applications validation using XFSI's XAV; OCAP benchmark testing using Sofia's OCAP Benchmark System; and Generation of authenticated OCAP applications using UniSoft's OCAP Security File Generator (OCAP SFG).
- UpdateLogic, Inc. will demonstrate its ability to coordinate and deliver comprehensive software updates to today's digital television (DTV) sets. The UpdateTV Datacasting Network maintained by ULI consists of data insertion servers installed in public broadcast stations in North America. This data can be carried forward on the cable networks with no additional infrastructure - by simply "cherry-picking" the data broadcast. Once enabled with the specification-compliant UpdateTV Agent software, DTV devices can receive and install the appropriate software update - via either cable or terrestrial broadcast.
- Westell, Inc. will coordinate the digital home with its UltraLine Series 3 residential gateway that unifies triple play services with emerging home networking applications-media sharing, home control and home monitoring-and integrates them into a single, intuitive user experience. The gateway also features WireSpeed™ routing technology with a dual-core network processor to simultaneously support multiple bandwidth-intensive applications.
- Zodiac Interactive will display its tru2way Zidget framework, which utilizes its plug-in architecture to support applications such as local search, weather, traffic, sports scores, and local news without disrupting the TV viewing experience.
- Z-Wave will demonstrate home security, monitoring and automation solutions using a mobile phone, TV, computer, remote controller and a touch-panel interfaces controlling door locks, lighting, thermostats, video cameras and appliances both in home and remotely, anytime/anywhere.
CableLabs® is a registered trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. Other CableLabs marks are listed at http://www.cablelabs.com/certqual/trademarks. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.