OCAP™ and Broadband Security Systems Among Highlights of CableNET® 2007
User-Generated Content, Wireless and 145 Mbps Downloads of IP/HDTV also featured.
Louisville, Colorado, April 2, 2007—CableLabs® announced today that OCAP™-based interactive applications and home security exhibits are among the demonstrations of advanced broadband technology that comprise the 15th annual CableNET® exhibit, a highlight of The Cable Show '07.
CableNET is a technology showcase that is co-sponsored by CableLabs and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA), and offers a hands-on experience with many of the most exciting content, services, and applications. The Cable Show '07, NCTA's 56th Annual Convention and International Exposition, will be held May 7–9 at The Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas.
In addition to forming a major presence at the CableNET pavilion, OCAP™ is the subject of a two-day pre-convention conference for OCAP Developers. That event is co-sponsored by NCTA and CableLabs and also is at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. Within CableNET, companies with OpenCable™ Application Platform (OCAP™) demonstrations include Advanced Micro Devices, NDS, Samsung, Sofia Digital Ltd.; Softel-USA and UniSoft Corporation/Strategy & Technology Ltd.
CableNET enables attendees to see and discuss leading-edge technologies and applications. Among this year's highlights are a number of security technologies that enable cable operators to offer monitoring solutions for homes and businesses from companies such as Alarm.com, NextAlarm.com and uControl.
CableNET will feature several technology demonstrations including: 145 megabit-per-second download speeds of Internet Protocol (IP) high definition TV (HDTV); broadband wireless, interactive advertising, Internet-focused applications and services; and advanced PacketCable™ 2.0-based technologies. New this year will be several demonstrations of user-generated content applications, including Comverse and SimpleStar.
Historically, CableNET has provided attendees a first glimpse of many nascent, leading-edge technologies and applications. Those included early views of the cable industry's Data over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS®) platform; high-definition televisions, two-way, OCAP-based devices, and early displays of interactive services and Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP).
“Once again, CableNET will prove to be an important, must-see destination for anyone in our industry who wants to see cable's future,” said Dr. Richard R. Green, CableLabs President and CEO. “It is exciting to see new companies in CableNET showing their ideas and business concepts to our very entrepreneurial attendees.”
“CableNET demonstrates the new and innovative technologies that make our industry a technology leader,” said NCTA President & CEO Kyle McSlarrow. “What's in CableNET often finds its way into the homes of our customers tomorrow, as cable expands and enhances its many service offerings that are improving the lives of American consumers.”
A list of demonstrating companies and a brief description of their displays follows:
- ADC Telecommunications will demonstrate a mobile wireless coverage and capacity solution.
- Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) will show an OpenCable 2.0 hardware platform for development of integrated Bi-directional Digital Cable Ready television. This demonstration will show an AMD-based digital TV prototype running a third-party OCAP implementation.
- Alarm.com offers a monitoring solution for primary and second homes and small commercial facilities that have cable internet service, especially those without a traditional telephone line. Alarm.com�s broadband/Ethernet and cellular communicators enable reporting of all activity from the security system, not just alarms, so users can be alerted immediately of events based on personalized notification settings.
- Aurora Networks will show LcWDM™, a newly developed technology that maximizes the use of the installed fiber infrastructure by improving single-fiber utilization.It provides multiple 1 GHz forward transmission paths that concurrently co-exist with existing forward and return wavelengths (DWDM and/or CWDM) over the same fiber.
- Clique Communications will demonstrate its SIP-compliant Clique Video Phone (CVP). This demonstration will include real-time video messaging, video telephony through a DOCSIS connection/over the Internet, as well as audio telephony between a DOCSIS-connected PC to a cell phone or land line.
- Comverse will exhibit Personal TV BlogCast which enables users to broadcast live video content to any device over IPTV and IMS.
- Front Porch will show a direct-to-the-browser communication solution that enables cable companies to target and send any high-speed Internet subscribers any message or content, anytime and anywhere they surf the Internet. No client-side software is required.
- F-Secure will display a consumer-focused service platform that is a client-based Internet security service providing invisible, reliable, always-on and up-to-date protection for a distributed user base. F-Secure can manage a co-branded service for service providers who can then offer the solution as a value-added or bundled service.
- Hillcrest Labs will demonstrate its digital media system for TV, called HoME™, and its Freespace™ motion-control TV remote, The Loop™.
- iControl Networks will show a web-based remote home monitoring service that gives its customers a new way to see, know and interact remotely with what matters the most - family, home and business. Through self-installed, off-the-shelf wireless devices (i.e., cameras, motion sensors, etc.) placed around a home, users can get alarm information, view live video, take pictures, and control and manage their devices from their personal web portal or any web-enabled cellular phone.
- Juniper Networks, Inc. will show WiFi hotspot applications for cable operators that uses a combination of Juniper Networks Wireless Secure Services Gateway, an E-series IP Edge and Broadband Services Routing platform and Service Deployment System (SDX). The result allows an MSOs subscribers to connect directly to their services.
- Motorola Connected Home Solutions will exhibit DOCSIS 3.0 Channel Bonding Delivering IPTV, showing how DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding can be used to deliver multicast, high-definition IP video streams to an IP set top box and HD Television. The high-definition IP video streams will be sent to the Motorola BSR 64000 CMTS from a video server along with approximately 120-130 Mbps of FTP traffic. The total amount of downstream traffic to a single modem will be approximately 145Mbps.
- Navic Networks will demonstrate some of the industry's most advanced interactive TV solutions for advertisers, programmers and operators, including: Addressable Advertising, Enhanced TV - Deployed across multiple cable systems, and Reveal—a commercially available addressable, customizable on-demand navigation solution.
- NDS will show the latest interactive applications and production tools for existing cable and new OCAP set top boxes. Additionally, NDS will demonstrate their next generation user interface, designed to take advantage of advanced, high definition set top boxes.
- NextAlarm.com, the Broadband Alarm Company ®, is showcasing its Alarm Broadband Network. ABN is a low-cost solution for monitoring home and business security systems over VoIP and digital phone that works with 90% of currently installed security equipment. A variety of reseller and partnership opportunities are available, along with Internet-enhanced security systems and revolutionary new monitoring features.
- Nortel will demonstrate new commercial service products designed to deliver the full potential of the cable operator's IP network to the business customer.
- OverSi will exhibit OverCache™, its Peer-to-Peer (P2P) and HTTP caching and content delivery solution, which enables a platform for delivering video content over the Internet while reducing the network load. OverCache enables cable operators to clear any congestion on their cable access networks.
- PerfTech, Inc., will display how it brings to Internet providers a high-performance, unique communications tool that inserts messaging directly onto the screens of browsing subscribers in both wired and Wi-Fi environments-without loading client-based software. Ideal for the insertion of advertising, promotions, subscriber-care messaging, spam abuse control, and more.
- Samsung Electronics will demonstrate SMT-H3050 OCAPTM HD STB, a World's first OpenCable HD STB sold into North America. It enables HD viewing while running bound and unbound applications. (2) a Dual Tuner OpenCable HD DVR which uses Multi-stream CableCARD to simultaneously decrypt and record two streams of digital cable to a 160 GB HDD. (3) a Home Media Gateway that manages user's content from personal computers, set-top boxes DVRs throughout the home; and (4) HL-S5686C OCAPTM HDTV, a world's first OpenCable Host 2.0 HDTV sold into North America.
- Sandvine will demonstrate how accurate traffic identification can be used in conjunction with subscriber awareness to permit a range of subscriber-positive management and upsell opportunities.
- Simple Star will exhibit PhotoShowTV, an ultimate PhotoShow viewing experience. The demo allows for watching broadcast quality PhotoShows in your home on the big screen. Enjoy your PhotoShows in full-motion video, complete with stereo sound. Pause, rewind or view your favorite PhotoShows anytime. Imagine the possibilities. Turn any occasion - a birthday party, soccer game, wedding, or vacation travel - into a TV show. And be the star of the best show on TV.
- Simplicita will show how its NXD increases revenue for broadband cable operators while making the Internet experience for subscribers safer, smarter, and more convenient. The Simplicita NXD name error redirect service with typo correction can increase a service provider's operating profit net of infrastructure and advertising costs.
- Sofia Digital will demonstrate its expertise on OCAP application development. The products and services Sofia will showcase include: (1) Sofia Backstage® Browser Platform for OCAP - a comprehensive XHTML microbrowser solution running on top of OCAP for deploying a great variety of different interactive services efficiently. (2) Sofia Benchmark System for OCAP, which is a solution for testing the performance and features of OCAP set-top boxes. (3) Sofia Backstage® Starter Kit for OCAP, and (4) OCAP application development services.
- Softel-USA will show MediaSphere TX and examples of OCAP and ETV Applications for iTV. The "MediaSphere TX" carousel system can run as a fully automated solution, with minimal engineer involvement. The web-based control environment allows coordination (including the administration, configuration and day-to-day running of the MediaSphere TX's) to be performed from any location, providing a centralized control system.
- thePlatform™ a leading broadband video application service provider, will showcase their media publishing system for creating a white-label broadband video offering for content providers, broadband media sites, and mobile businesses.
- uControl will demonstrate how uControl allows the user to remotely control and monitor their alarm system via the web, cell phone or PDA. uControl will deliver video and two-way voice monitoring as well and home automation services such as thermostat and lighting controls.
- UniSoft Corporation/Strategy & Technology Ltd., will be providing demonstrations of the latest version of the TSBroadcaster DSM-CC object carousel generator, OCAP encoder and play-out system. The software will be integrated with a new product, TSOOBPlayer, which provides the capability to deliver XAITs, CVTs and object carousels via a variety of out-of-band channels, including DSG. Also included will be XFSI's XAV application validator.
- VectorMAX Corp. will exhibit IPTV on a Mac platform and Windows. It also will include a demonstration of Content Management via a web-based system, and Mobile Offerings which will be shown on various Symbian and Windows Mobile devices.
About CableLabs: Cable Television Laboratories (www.cablelabs.com) was founded in 1988 by members of the cable television industry. A non-profit research and development consortium, CableLabs delivers innovations that enable cable operators to be the providers of choice in their markets. Cable operators from around the world are members. CableLabs maintains additional web sites at www.cablenet.org and www.ebif.tv.
CableLabs® is a registered trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. Other CableLabs marks are listed at http://www.cablelabs.com/certqual/trademarks. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
About the NCTA
The National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) is the principal trade association for the cable industry, representing cable operators serving more than 90 percent of the nation's cable television households and more than 200 cable program networks. The cable industry is the nation's largest broadband provider of high-speed Internet access after investing more than $100 billion over ten years to build out a two-way interactive network with fiber optic technology.