Press Release Policy
- Review: All press releases related to or referencing CableLabs®, its projects, CableLabs’ certified/qualified products, CableLabs’ non-certified/qualified products, products based on CableLabs’ specifications, or quoting CableLabs employees MUST be reviewed 7 working days prior to their release by:
- Trademarks: All press releases referencing CableLabs, its projects, certified/qualified products, non-certified/qualified products, or products based on CableLabs’ specifications must cite CableLabs’ trademarks according to the CableLabs Trademark Guidelines.
- Penalties: If your company does not clear your press release with CableLabs, you could, without limitation, be subject to any/all of the following penalties:
- No CableLabs quotes in your press releases or your customers’ press releases for six months;
- Cannot use “CableLabs Certified/Qualified” or “based on CableLabs specifications” for six months;
- Notification of your company’s counsel with CableLabs’ concern about misleading statements; and
- Notification of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) with CableLabs’ concern about misleading statements.
- Press releases/statements that do not comply with CableLabs’ guidelines:
- Mislead the industry saying that the product is more than the specification(s).
- Bridge the product to future certifications/qualifications.
- “With product X, we alone can offer cable operators interactive service.”
- “Product X is the first OCAP-deployed product in the field.”
- Press releases/statements that comply with CableLabs’ guidelines:
- Have been approved by CableLabs Communication Department;
- Cite trademarks according to CableLabs’ guidelines;
- Identify the wave in which the vendor participated;
- Cite the product model number;
- Identify whether the product was “certified” or “qualified”; and
- Cite products that have been designed according to CableLabs’ specifications using the phrase “based on the XYZ CableLabs Project specification.”
- “The xyz product joins a growing family of ABC Company’s DOCSIS® 2.0-certified voice and data products. In addition to the xyz-line of products, ABC also has achieved DOCSIS® 1.1 qualifications for the xxx cable modem termination systems and xxx CMTS.”
- “Company ABC will be showing its xyz product based on the CableLabs XXX specification at the yyy show in December.”
- Certification: Product complies to the specification as determined by the Certification Board for Retail Sale.
- Qualification: Product complies to the specification as determined by the Certification Board for MSO Purchase.
- Wave: CableLabs scheduled time when vendor-submitted product is to be tested.