Founded in 1988 by cable operating companies, Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. (CableLabs®) is a non-profit research and development consortium that is dedicated to pursuing new cable telecommunications technologies and to helping its cable operator members integrate those technical advancements into their business objectives.
CableLabs more than 20 years of existence, has had an impact on the cable industry and on the deployment of broadband globally. Please take a look at the flash presentation below to get some sense of how CableLabs delivers value to its membership and to the broadband industry.
In 2011, CableLabs opened a new office in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- CableLabs serves the cable television industry by:
- researching and identifying innovative broadband technologies;
- authoring specifications;
- conducting certification and qualification testing of products; and
- disseminating information.
- CableLabs benefits the cable television industry and consumers by:
- enabling interoperability among different cable systems;
- facilitating retail availability of cable modems and advanced services; and
- helping cable operators deploy innovative broadband technologies.
- facilitating industry revenue growth from new businesses which require high levels of technical accuracy and reliability, such as broadband internet access and VoIP.
- reducing costs for existing businesses and contribute to improving margins.
- providing a uniquely broad view of the industry.
- helping the industry explain technology's role to outside audiences.
To be a member of CableLabs, a company must be a cable television system operator (as defined by the 1984 Cable Act). A cable operator, as defined by the '84 Cable Act, is a person or persons who provide(s) video programming using closed transmission paths and uses public rights-of-way. This definition does not include open video systems, MMDS (multi-channel multipoint distribution systems), or DBS (direct broadcast satellite).
CableLabs History An overview of CableLabs' history:
CableLabs governance is comprised of the following elements:
- Board of Directors, comprised of CableLabs member CEOs, appointed or elected by member companies.
- Executive Committee, appointed by the Board of Directors.
- Technical Advisory Committee, which includes one representative per member company.